Friday, March 6, 2009

What is "Be Magnified?"


Some may be wondering, "what does he mean by 'Be Magnified' anyways?" Simple. I desire nothing more than that Jesus Christ would be lifted up and magnified in my life. I want to be a magnifying glass for the Lord Jesus. What does a magnifying glass do? It just makes whatever is on the other side appear larger to the viewer. My life, my body, my actions are to be nothing more than a looking-glass so people can see what is on the inside--God. And God, magnified.

Paul writes something along these lines in Philippians 1:20-21:

"According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

We live in a day where SELF is exalted. My job. My money. My life. My family. My time.... You get the picture. This egotistic lifestyle, though halfway gratifying for a small portion of time, will fade away. It is a life that remains empty of purpose, of no value to society, and worthless to God, the very one that created us. Ephesians 2 tells us that he has made us for something greater:

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

So, why do so many choose to live for less? Because though amazingly gratifying and rewarding, it is a life that requires sacrifice. That is why Paul so blatantly states, "Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death." God calls for us to die. Not always physically, but always in our Will. The magnifying glass must realize that his purpose is not to be admired for his handiwork or beauty, but for people to SEE clearly what's on the other side. Self-pride is not an option. Hence, the name, "Be Magnified." That is my prayer to the Lord Jesus Christ. I'll end with the words of John the Baptist:

"He must increase, but I must decrease."

2 comments: